This lovely rich creamy pumpkin soup with apple and sage has the taste and aroma of autumn.
Sage is one of my favorite herbs and it goes so well with pumpkin.
It tastes wonderful if you have some roasted pumpkin that you have done in the oven to use. If not, just use fresh chopped pumpkin but increase the cooking time until the pumpkin is soft.
Pumpkins are so soft that you don’t always need to use a blender to create soup. I often just use a masher. But if you like a very smooth consistency, then the easiest way is to use a stick blender.
- 2 cups roasted fresh pumpkin , chopped roughly
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 medium-sized onion, diced
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp sage leaves
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup cream
- salt and pepper , to taste
- Over medium heat, place onions, apples, sage, butter, carrots and pumpkin in large pot and cook until tender, around ten minutes.
- Using a blender or food processor, puree these ingredients and then put them back into the pot (or if you're lazy like me, just give them a mash with the hand masher while still in the pot).
- Pour in chicken stock and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add cream and continue simmering for an additional five minutes. Do not let the soup boil.
- Add salt and pepper and another dollop of cream on top and serve. breads?
Make sure you have a lovely crusty bread to go with it. Or why not try one of my pumpkin breads?
Utensils You Need To Make Creamy Pumpkin Soup
Anolon Nouvelle Copper Hard Anodized Nonstick 8-Quart Covered StockpotLong Handle Wooden Measuring Spoons by utensi, Set of 4 Engraved Accurate Spoons for Dry and Liquid Ingredients, Beech Wood Set (9-inch handles)Nessie Ladle Turquoise by OTOTOVitamix Two Speed Blender, Red (Certified Refurbished)Certified International Large Cereal, Soup, or Pasta Bowls, Chelsea Collection, 6.1 Inch, Set of 6 Assorted Designs
For more fabulous fall soup ideas look here.